[annotator-dev] Using annotator.js for HTML doc review

Andrew Magliozzi andrew at finalsclub.org
Wed Sep 3 14:38:50 UTC 2014

Hi Warren,

It looks like no one responded to your message.  How is your project going?
 Can we help out?

~Andrew

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> Hello.  I'm a documentation committer with FreeBSD,
> http://www.freebsd.org/.  Something we have wanted to do for quite some
> time is hold documentation review events.
>
> There is a barrier to entry for reviewers because our documentation is
> either in DocBook or mdoc.  Reading the source is non-trivial and distracts
> from editing the content, even if you are familiar with the markup
> language.  Reviewers currently have no easy way to annotate a rendered
> version.
>
> Annotator can simplify this for us.  The plan is to take a single section
> of our HTML-rendered documents, like this example:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
> network-wireless.html
>
> The necessary Javascript inclusions and a header with user instructions
> will be added to a copy of that file, and it will be set up on a web server
> temporarily.  Then we have a limited-time event where we ask for user
> annotations.  At the end, editors go through the annotations and update the
> document.
>
> I set up a simple test, which works for a single user and session but
> shows that user login and storage are needed.
>
> What I'm looking for now is a complete, minimal example, preferably one
> that does not assume a web framework and uses local storage for the
> annotations.  The openshakespeare example looks like a start.  What is
> needed for a storage service on port 5000?
>
> Thank you!

Andrew Magliozzi
Founder
*FinalsClub Foundation*
*www.KarmaNotes.org <http://www.KarmaNotes.org>*

T - 617-575-9369
E - Andrew at FinalsClub.org

FinalsClub exists thanks to funding from the William and Flora Hewlett
Foundation and generous scholars like you.