[annotator-dev] annotator 2 (master) / no ownerDocument exception

andrew simpson andrew10961 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 13:47:12 UTC 2015

I'm trying to move to annotator 2 (master branch), but am running into a
javascript exception, below

You created an instance of the TextSelector on an element that doesn't have
an ownerDocument. This won't work! Please ensure the element is added to
the DOM before the plugin is configured: Object[div#regionToAnnotateId
.regionToAnnotateClass.ng-scope]

I can see the logic that generates this error in:

src/ui/textselector.js

// TextSelector monitors a document (or a specific element) for text
selections
// and can notify another object of a selection event
function TextSelector(element, options) {
    this.element = element;
    this.options = $.extend(true, {}, TextSelector.options, options);
    this.onSelection = this.options.onSelection;

    if (typeof this.element.ownerDocument !== 'undefined' &&
        this.element.ownerDocument !== null) {
        var self = this;
        this.document = this.element.ownerDocument;

        $(this.document.body)
            .on("mouseup." + TEXTSELECTOR_NS, function (e) {
                self._checkForEndSelection(e);
            });
    } else {
        console.warn("You created an instance of the TextSelector on an " +
                     "element that doesn't have an ownerDocument. This
won't " +
                     "work! Please ensure the element is added to the DOM "
+
                     "before the plugin is configured:", this.element);
    }
}

I'm using angularjs 1.2

I create the annotator like this in a controller

var region = angular.element( document.querySelector( '#regionToAnnotateId'
));
$scope.annotator = new Annotator(region);

And define region like this

contenteditable="{{isContentEditable()}}" ng-show="isContentAvailable()"
ng-blur="updateContent($event)">

When I work with annotator 1.2.x versions of these files I don't have this
problem..

annotator.min.css
annotator-full.min.js

Any ideas how to interpret this error?