[annotator-dev] Annotator 2.0

andrew simpson andrew10961 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 08:13:00 UTC 2015

(resend without the reply-to email trail)

Hi, I wanted to put my hand up as an active user of Annotator 2.0.

It took a while to work out the new API, but now very pleased that I moved,
thanks for the update.

Things I like about it:
- pure JS implementation (I can even build it myself)
- cleaner architecture
- annotation window resize problem solved (this was a real pain before)
- *almost* possible to use as is on mobile devices without need for
additional plug-in

Things I'd like to see
- the storage http implementation on error function return the xhr object
rather than / as well as a message (to be able to read the status code);
this was relatively easy to update and rebuild.
- improved positioning / resizing of annotation window on small devices.
The start of the window currently disappears off the left of the screen in
cases, but could actually fit.
- continued highlighting of the text region when the annotation window is
open over it (I seem to remember this was possible, or echoing of the text).

In case it's useful, I've cut out a section of my angularjs code where the
annotator is configured and created and attached it.

It contains some angularjs- and application-specific elements, but shows
the sequence of steps that need to be done to:
- configure which UI elements are shown
- configure the http storage element REST endpoints, including passing an
authentication header, and a URI for reloading.
- include an http on error function (e.g. to trap authorization failures
due to session expiry)

Happy to help develop where I can, but still getting up to speed on JS.

Andrew Simpson