[annotator-dev] Port of Factlink's paragraph icons to Annotator.js

Jan Paul Posma janpaul at factlink.com
Mon May 4 05:36:01 UTC 2015

For those of you who are interested in icons next to paragraphs that
automatically integrate with a host website (paragraph detection,
colour/size adjustment, style/script isolation, etc), I ported our
code from Factlink to Annotator.js.

Code: https://github.com/Factlink/annotator-paragraph-icons
Demo: http://factlink.github.io/annotator-paragraph-icons/

Main advantages are that this interface is easier to discover, could
be made to work well on mobile (show icon when touching a paragraph),
and could be used to group annotations instead of highlights or a more
complicated sidebar as Hypothes.is has (though this grouping is
currently not implemented).

Only thing missing is the actual saving of the annotation, that seemed
a bit tricky for me to figure out, and not really documented. If
someone from the Annotator team could fill this in, that would be
awesome: https://github.com/Factlink/annotator-paragraph-icons/blob/784bf4c60db28e0612d2ae711abcb0c1b9f90972/app/icon_buttons.coffee#L136

Hope this could be useful to some.
Best, JP