[annotator-dev] Port of Factlink's paragraph icons to Annotator.js

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Mon May 4 21:40:13 UTC 2015

Ahh, I should have looked closer. I see in your index.html
"app.include(window.paragraphUi);"

It would certainly be nicer if this were packaged as a module so that it is
possible to import it without it modifying the global object, but that's a
nice-to-have.

To answer your question, I think you do not want to expect the storage
object. You want to fire hooks. Grab a reference to the application in your
start hook and then use it later as follows:

    app.runHook('create', [annotation])

Probably, some of these will graduate to the level of deserving their own
API, but we want to move slowly on adding API.

However, I will say that these hooks are for creating annotations when your
code is essentially about creating targets for potentially annotating. It
is best for extensibility that you not encode assumptions about the
structure of annotations into your hooks since that is where application
developers need to have freedom. As such, it's far better to fire your own
hooks providing just the data you need to and let application developers
listen to those hooks and decide how to include that information into a new
annotation and when to call the create hook themselves.

If I were you, I would:

- Expose _onClick in ParagraphIconButtonContainer to be public "onClick"
and configurable.

- Make sure this option is accessible from the way you construct the
component in the Annotator "start" hook.

- When you construct the component, construct it with an onClick that calls
`app.runHook('myCustomHook', [data])`.

- Your data should be about the paragraph button that was clicked and the
paragraph it corresponds to. In particular:

  - Don't make assumptions about how text should be extracted, or if it
needs to be at all.

  - Don't make assumptions about how to address that paragraph in a
persistent way or attempt to provide that information.

  - Do make enough of the raw event data available that the application
developer can do these things for themselves.

Thanks, JP. This looks great and I'd love to help you make this more
accessible to the community.