[annotator-dev] Requirements for /search API for 2.0

Ian Evans ievans at datastax.com
Sat Oct 31 00:49:35 UTC 2015

Hello. We have been using annotator.js 1.2 against a custom store
(based on annotator-store, but using Apache Cassandra as the database)
to facilitate documentation reviews. We're in the process of updating
our review server to use 2.0, but have discovered that 2.0 apparently
requires the /search API, which was not part of 1.2.

I've read the API docs for /search, but it's not clear where /search
is used by 2.0, and this isn't described in the Upgrading guide.

>From http://docs.annotatorjs.org/en/latest/modules/storage.html#storage-api:
"Search for fields using query string parameters."

Ok, but from my debugger 2.0 is using /search to find all annotations
based on the uri field. Something like:
GET http://example.com/api/search?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fen%2Fsome%2doc%2Fpage.html%23some_anchor

Are there other annotation fields that 2.0 requires in order to work
with a backend store? NoSQL databases like Cassandra don't necessarily
allow searching on arbitrary table columns, so it impacts the schema.

Thanks,
-ian