[annotator-dev] install annotator-master

Randall Leeds randall at bleeds.info
Thu Jan 28 07:17:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 8:59 PM Jane Gu <Jane.Gu at brandhub.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to annotator and download annotator-master.zip from github,  but
> I always get “Oops! it looks like you haven't built Annotator.
>
> Either download a tagged release from GitHub, or build the package by
> running `make’”  when I run demo.html.
>
> Any idea?

If you're wanting to work on annotator itself you should read the
HACKING.rst file. The commands `npm install` and `npm start` will get a
development server running that recompiles the annotator as you hack on it.

If you have "make" installed, you can do what it says and run "make" to
write a built version of annotator to disk. Then demo.html will work
because it uses these files. These files are what gets packaged and
released to npm.

If you're wanting to develop an application using annotator, you can
install it from npm. There is a recent alpha release that is close behind
master. You can do that with "npm install annotator at 2.0.0-alpha.3".