[Bibjson-dev] GeoJSON

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 5 08:33:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Just learned about this.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoJSON
>
> Seems to have some takeup. May be worth a look for guidance.

I agree. Well spotted

* Lezan and Hannah are geotagging (and chemtagging)  the
bibliography/abstracts for Eur Geo. Union journals and are off to see the
publishers/editors on Tuesday. So I have copied them in. Ben is helping them
and hopefully can give an informed opinion (I don't have one yet)

* I think we can add this to the paper - both for further justifying the
choice of JSON and also because combined bib/geo tagging of scholarly
processes can be very powerful.

FWIW I believe that GML is a very complex system with lots of modules and (I
guess) GeoJSON may be a reaction to complexity. I have copied in Jo Walsh
who may also know more. (Jo, the "paper" is the Open Biblio paper we are
writing).

P.

> --Jim
> Jim Pitman
> Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
> http://www.bibkn.org/
>
> Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
> University of California
> 367 Evans Hall # 3860