[Bibjson-dev] omnidator

Michael Hausenblas michael.hausenblas at deri.org
Fri Jun 17 06:56:51 UTC 2011

William, thanks for putting us in touch. Jim, pleased to meet you.

I know, use and love bibutils - very happy to collaborate, here!

> I don't see where you get N^2-N (maybe unicode problems, that's how I
> read N?-N, apologies if I've misunderstood), omnidator from what I can
> tell uses RDF as an internal representation like the bibutils use
> MODS.  So actually the way it works, I think, more or less, there are
> N serialisers and N deserialisers, so 2N just like bibutils - but it
> isn't limited to bibliographic data.

As far as I understood, Jim simply stated the general fact that if you
want to translate from N languages to N languages you would, in the
naive case, need N^2-N converters, whereas applying the Lingua Franca
pattern [1] one can cut it down to 2N. This is true for bibutils and
as well for omnidator. Nothing new here and no criticism implied ;)

Jim said:
> ] We need a strategy/architecture for managing conversions to/from
> BibJSON, presumably a webservice like omnidator, and some community
> development to support this over time.
> ] Thoughts about how to achieve this?

... and William rightly pointed out:
> To the extent that bibjson can be aligned with json-ld using a
> suitable vocabulary a lot of this can come along for free. To
> the extent that we need or want bibtex/mods/marc21/etc i/o it is
> then just as simple as writing the necessary parsers/serialisers,
> and we could just use omnidator or a only slightly modified
> variant.

Indeed. JSON-LD [2] alignment would be desirable if this doesn't break
your downstream compatibility. Now, omnidator is nothing more than a
GAE deployment (with a bit of an UI on top) of the Schema.org gateway
[3] which happens to leverage the terms defined by Schema.org. Given
that this is not a show-stopper I'd suggest you clone this repo and
develop a fork, adapting it to your needs.

If I can be of help (re supported input/output formats) please let me
know and I'll prioritise them - simply raising an issue on the repo
[3] would help to keep track of it (pls. do mention Schema.org gateway
in the issue, as we have quite some sub-projects in it ;)

Cheers,
	Michael

[1] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LinguaFrancaPattern
[2] http://json-ld.org/