[CfAll DE] Fwd: CodeAcross and Code for All International Meeting Update

Daniel Dietrich daniel.p.dietrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 11:44:04 UTC 2014

Hallo Leute,

am 13. - 14. Juli wird es am Rande des OKFesivals* ein Treffen aller internationalen Brigades in Berlin geben. Siehe unten :)

Beste Grüße
Daniel

* http://2014.okfestival.org/

—-

Begin forwarded message:

Hi Code for All,

I'm writing you from beautiful Jamaica. Team Code for the Caribbean had their app launch event today (congrats!) so needless to say it's been a very exciting past couple of days. I'll let them share the details but I can personally attest to the fact that they have done an incredible job.

I'm also excited to share updates with you about CodeAcross and the Code for All International Meeting (please make sure to take a look at the "To Do" items at the end of this e-mail). It's a long update e-mail but only because of all of the exciting stuff going on.

CODE ACROSS RESULTS

CodeAcross was a huge success and we're working hard to keep the momentum going. As many of you already know, for the first time ever our annual CodeAcross event went international and a lot of you were part of it.

Some exciting CodeAcross-wide numbers:
Over 2,500 people around the world turned out CodeAcross weekend to make a difference in the communities where they live and work.
Collectively, these 2,500 participants spent over 30,000 hours hacking, yaking, designing, writing, prototyping, opening data, and more.
CodeAcross 2014 doubled the number of participating events from 2013. CodeAcross went from 22 events in 2013 to 48 events in 2014.
CodeAcross 2014 tripled attendance at events from 2013. CodeAcross went from 780 participants in 2013 to 2,591 participants in 2014.
Here’s a taste of what happened around the world:

5 international Brigades launched in: Monterrey, Mexico; Taipei, Taiwan; Zagreb, Croatia; Lahore, Pakistan and in cities throughout Germany.

International partners organized CodeAcross events in 10 different countries, spanning across Croatia, Taiwan, Australia, Japan, Mexico, Pakistan, Poland, Germany, Ireland and Brazil.

That’s 8 time zones and 10 different languages.

International Brigades mobilized to improve the garbage pick-up alert system in Japan, open up budgets in Zagreb, foster the civic tech eco-system in Australia, map street art in Warsaw, advance data journalism in Taipei and to pass an open data mayoral decree in Porto Alegre, Brazil, among others. We're working with you and our other partners to figure out the best ways to support efforts in moving forward with these projects.

For a more complete debrief, check out this deck which has some great pictures of our new and old international Brigades in action.

CODE FOR ALL INTERNATIONAL MEETING UPDATE

We are moving forward with holding the Code for All annual meeting directly before OKFest in Berlin, tentatively planning on the evening of Sunday July 13th and a full day on Monday July 14th.

We are still unsure of some of the details, including the number of participants we will be able to accommodate. We will keep you posted.

Please complete the following To Do items at your earliest convenience:
add people you believe we should invite to the CodeforAll meeting to this list
inform me if you know of events happening that would interfere with holding the CodeforAll event at this time
express whether or not you would be interested in participating (do this by adding your own name to this list)
add recommendations related to the CodeforAll event format and objectives to this doc.
           Some guiding questions to consider include: What would you be interested in learning about? What topics what you like the event to cover? What are the 3 most important things to you to get out of this event? How would you like to see the event structured?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,

Lynn

Lynn Fine
International Programs Manager