[ciência aberta] Fwd: [Discuss] Open Science "Carpentry"

Luiz Irber luiz.irber em gmail.com
Segunda Maio 23 18:57:39 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: aleimba <aleimba em gwdg.de>
Date: Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:08 AM
Subject: [Discuss] Open Science "Carpentry"
To: discuss em lists.software-carpentry.org

Dear Software Carpentry list members,

we (the German OKFN Open Science working group,
http://www.ag-openscience.de) are starting a compendium for Open
Science teaching resources/material (compendium tentatively called
"Open Science 101"). Our audience would be (PhD) students, postdocs,
and other researchers at universities in order to supply them the
tools and the will to follow Open Science principles/practices in
their research.

This idea was born out of the frustration with the current state of
Open Science skills and their dissemination in the scientific
community (also in regard to the reproducibility crisis in many
fields).

The initial GitHub repo for the project can be found here:
https://github.com/OKScienceDE/Open_Science_101

Software/Data carpentry both serve as role models for our idea,
especially in hosting teaching material online on GitHub so it can be
crowd-sourced.

Thus, our first step is to collect already existing material or even
lessons on this topic. We don't want to reinvent the wheel and any
feedback is appreciated. I already asked around on Twitter
(https://twitter.com/aleimba/status/730758264548425728) and got some
nice recommendations. We now have a collection of material on the Open
Science Q&A site
(https://openscience.uni-bielefeld.de/898/which-materials-exist-introducing-specific-audiences-science)
born out of this repo issue
(https://github.com/OKScienceDE/Open_Science_101/issues/5).

However, I thought I might broaden the audience with this mailing list
(and was nudged in this direction by one of your members, Philipp
Bayer). Thus, I have a couple of questions for you:

- Do you know any additional initiatives or teaching resources that
are relevant to this topic?
- Do you think such an "Open Science 101" compendium/initiative is worthwhile?

If all pans out, we would also like to offer workshops/bootcamps with
volunteering teachers in the future (as you guys do).

We've submitted our project to the Mozilla Science Global Sprint (Jun
2 - Jun 3 2016), to have a starting point. We welcome anyone who would
like to contribute:
https://github.com/mozillascience/global-sprint-2016/issues/36.

Anyways, thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Andreas Leimbach

P.S.: Software/Data Carpentry is awesome! ;-)

--
Andreas Leimbach
Universität Münster

Tel.: +49 (0)551 39 33843