[ckan-announce] Announcement: Dropping support for Python 2.6 and PostgreSQL 8.x

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Fri Jan 15 11:37:47 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Over the many years that CKAN has been active, technologies have
evolved and the code base has acquired a certain degree of technical
debt.

Given the limited resources of the technical team, we are dropping
support for some older software versions.

Starting from the next CKAN 2.6 version, the minimum Python version
required for CKAN will be Python 2.7 (we recommend using the latest
Python patch release).
Also starting from CKAN 2.6, we are dropping support for PostgreSQL
8.x, and requiring at least PostgresSQL 9.1 (it is very likely that
you are running a more recent version than that already).

Both these options come as defaults or can be easily installed on most
platforms CKAN is generally installed on.

For any questions, please reach here or drop on the #ckan IRC channel.

Best,

Adrià