[ckan-committers] Update on 2.3 release

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Thu Nov 27 11:35:59 UTC 2014

Hey guys,

Apologies for not being around and at dev meetings, I'm battling viruses at
bed.

Below is an email regarding the status of 2.3 releases that I plan to send
to the public lists later today.

The tl;dr of it is that it won't happen on December. I think we should
really aim to branch and freeze before Christmas and then fix stuff and
release towards the end of January.

I just wanted to share it with the core team first to make sure everyone is
happy with it.

Cheers,

Adrià

------

Hi all,

As you are aware, we have been working on preparing the upcoming 2.3
release for a few weeks now and I thought I'd share an update on where
things are.

I'll start with the no so good news: we won't be able to release 2.3 in
mid-December as we had planned. It was a bit optimistic to start with, and
the reality of the amount of work to be done has proved it. Some of us core
devs have had other commitments that prevented from focus on this (or just
been ill :) ).

The good news is that a ton of really nice work is being done towards 2.3.
There are major changes on the data visualisation front with the new
Resource Views and we want to make sure there is a clear upgrade path and
user experience. Significant improvements are being made to the DataStore
and DataPusher to provide the foundation for better data APIs and
visualisations, and big internal refactorings will improve performance and
simplify extension development.

Our current aim is to branch and freeze the 2.3 branch the week before
Christmas (the one starting the 15th December). This will allow deploying
to beta.ckan.org, building test packages and make the translations
available. How long after this until the actual release will depend on the
issues found during the stabilisation process, but considering that during
Christmas break activity will likely slow down a bit, I think a tentative
date around mid/end of January is realistic.

I hope that we can count on your help testing the new branch and packages,
testing extensions to make sure they work fine, submitting patches and
translating the new release!

I hope all this makes sense, I'm happy to discuss any doubts that people
may have.
Cheers,

Adrià