[ckan-dev] ckan i18n

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Fri Dec 24 12:02:16 UTC 2010

Hi all,

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Benoit Boissinot <bboissin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just wanted to check on our current i18n workflow. We've now agreed to
>> have all *.po and *.mo in the main repo [1].
>>
>> What I then wanted to check is:
>>
>> a) How do we pull from transifex (i understand it is no longer automatic)?
>>

> I haven't investigated, but the new version of transifex might have
> some help having a different workflow.
> (sorry, I won't have much time due to starting a new job).

They now have a set of command line tools which I've begun to set up
on eu8 for co-use. I would propose we use this setup to manage i18n in
CKAN:

- CKAN checkout in ~/src/ckan, virtualenv in ~/src/i18nenv
- use "tx pull -a" and "tx push -s -t" to fetch and update transifex
- use "hg pull -u" and "hg commit && hg push" to update the repo
- use Babel "extract_messages", "update_catalog", "compile_catalog" to
refresh messages

Doing this all on one host should reduce conflicts, especially wrt .mo
binaries.

>> d) How do we integrate i18n of extensions -- this will become ever
>> more important as more stuff ends up in them (e.g. stats page is now
>> in an extension)
>
> Are they in a repo as well?

Yes, and I'd recommend we check in translation files with each of
them, too. We can add more sub-projects to the official CKAN page on
transifex for the officially supported extensions (at the moment, I
suppose that would be all of them).

There is also a custom piece of plumbing in WDMMG [1], [2] that allows
extensions to set translations for specific parts of templates (i.e. a
commenting section). We should backport that into CKAN and document it
properly. I've made this #882 in the current sprint.

Friedrich

[1] https://bitbucket.org/okfn/wdmmg/src/tip/wdmmg/config/environment.py#cl-16
[2] https://bitbucket.org/pudo/wdmmg-bmf/src/tip/wdmmgext/bmf/__init__.py#cl-17