[ckan-dev] isitopen: trouble with i18n genshi templates

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Tue Nov 23 16:23:40 UTC 2010

Hi,
I assume discussing isitopen on ckan-dev is ok (if not, just tell me).

I'm trying to get out of the i18n-hell that I've encountered with Genshi
templates. As I explained in my previous e-mail [0], I'm using the
i18n:msg attribute for all <p> elements that have nested tags (<em>,
<strong>, or <a> for example).

According to the Genshi docs
http://genshi.edgewall.org/wiki/Documentation/i18n.html#messages, this
is the way to go for obtaining smart translation messages.

Apparently this is not working very well and I'm getting "splitted"
translation messages instead.

The source is at

With input like
        like you
        – to make enquires of data holders, about the <a
        href="http://www.opendefinition.org/">openness</a> of the data
        they hold — and to record publicly the results of those
        efforts. We're especially focused on scientific data but anyone
        can use this service.</p>

I would expect a msg like:
        We aim to make it easy for people – like you – to
        make enquires of data holders, about the [1:openness] of the
        data they hold — and to record publicly the results of
        those efforts. We're especially focused on scientific data but
        anyone can use this service.

And instead I get 3 separate msgs (see
https://bitbucket.org/steko/isitopen/src/tip/isitopen/i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/isitopen.po#cl-30 and following lines)

Can anyone review the templates and point me to my error? for there must
be an error somewhere...

Thanks
steko

[0] http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-dev/2010-November/000021.html
--
Stefano Costa
Coordinator, Working Group on Open Data in Archaeology