[ckan-dev] Removing AlphaPage

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Nov 9 11:23:02 UTC 2010

You want to drop browsing?!! For me it is essential to three key use cases:
a) user aimlessly exploring datasets
b) user wanting to get a rough idea of what datasets are in the d.b.,
without having to choose a search term
c) search engine indexing all data packages in fewest links

The reason we moved from a fixed items per page to alphabetical
browsing a couple of months ago was for search engine optimisation,
which is pretty important for us.

The de.ckan.net 'b' page takes a fraction of a second to load. There
are 2 or 3 screenfuls of info - hardly overloading the user's page
down key or taking much browser memory.

Sub-paginating doesn't seem useful until we see an increase in the
quantity of packages by an order of magnitude.

Dealing with non-latin characters seems a useful improvement.