[ckan-dev] Removing AlphaPage

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Nov 9 13:45:47 UTC 2010

On 9 November 2010 13:24, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
> Friedrich,
>
> Glad to hear you're not dropping browsing after all! I do like faceted
> browsing, but the key point is that you can see some general packages
> *before* you filter by facet or search. This isn't a prime way that
> eBay/Google/Guardian work, but I agree with you it would be good for
> CKAN.
>
> Maybe you should send this to the ckan-discuss list for ideas on this
> topic, as this is not really a dev question?

I'm happy for this to go to ckan-discuss but I'd also like this not to
get bogged down in painting the bikeshed. I strongly agree with
Friedrich that we don't need these specific browsing methods -- we can
default search to show everything if you want ...

> I'm no expert in SEO, and I'm not clear exactly what you're suggesting
> on this topic, but as long as you can view any package from the browse
> screen in 2 clicks then I think that is covered.

Maybe, though I would not agree on this '2' clicks via random browsing
(clearly directed search always delivers 2 clicks: go to search page,
enter name of package and hit search ...)

Rufus