[ckan-dev] New branching and repository policy

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Nov 25 10:39:22 UTC 2010

Rufus,

Thanks for this, although it's probably worth explaining why you propose this.

I like the idea of branch-per-feature for these reasons:
* it is one way to tighten up on badly explained check-ins. This helps
when preparing a release, understanding exactly what is going in.
* the default branch has fewer check-ins of more complete features, so
less likely to break as frequently. Bad check-ins would be easier to
identify and more easily reverted.

The disadvantages are:
* a bit of hassle for developers until they are used to it
* feature branches wouldn't necessarily be on buildbot

So I think this would be most useful with CKAN expanding more and
more, but would ask that we get buildbot to test all open branches in
the repo.

The article also mentions branching for specific releases, which I
like - was that your intention? These would be like our current
metastable branch. Having this would let us 'trial' releases on test
servers easily. I don't mind this would be branch per release or have
a continuous branch as we have now for metastable.

I don't see much advantage of using bookmarks over named branches. You
can rename bookmarks, but the permanence and easy distribution of
branch names seems useful.

I don't see any advantage in each of us push/pulling to a personal
bitbucket if we're working on a feature branch by default. It's not as
easy to autobuild, and the changesets are less visible to the rest of
the team.

David