[ckan-dev] [ckan-discuss] Harvesting Dublin Core documents

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Thu Nov 25 15:23:21 UTC 2010

William Waites wrote:

> Depending on the details of the scenario, I would prefer not to guess
> the document type from the content. Rather when it is fetched we
> should look at (and preserve) the content type and judge from that.
>
> That's the "correct" way to do it but I'm quite conscious of the fact
> that remote servers may or may not be relied upon to set their HTTP
> headers correctly, and we may even be harvesting from e.g. and FTP
> site or a CDROM that doesn't have such headers...
>
> In any event, I would suggest that the different translators stay
> different. The "trigger" of a harvesting job should not assume the
> programming language they're written in and instead interact with them
> at the unix command level. The trigger mechanism, either cron or a
> queue listener, would be configured beforehand to say what script to
> use according to what type of data.
>
> My £0.02

Thanks. Let's keep this discussion open. I'm not entirely sure what you
mean in the last paragraph. CKAN is written in Python, which could run
on Windows (or something else). That is, there might not be a unix
command level available. But do tell me more about this if you'd like to.

On the subject of content type detection: what I did is lame, but it's
probably adequate for the remaining seconds of 2010. Guessing the
document type from the content, especially in the way I indicated it
happens at the moment ("if 'gmd:MD_Metadata' in self.content") isn't
going to be very robust against cases where the tested fragment appears
within a different document type. That is, I'm sure we can all think of
documents which have "gmd:MD_Metadata" which aren't GEMINI 2 documents
encoded with ISO19139. :-)

So it would be good to discuss content/document type detection
strategies. As you say, the system could look at an HTTP header to get
and preserve the content type (but we can't rely on that). Another
option is to pass the content into a series of document validators, and
use the first one that works. Another is to pass them into all the
validators and score them somehow, perhaps according to which treatment
gives the most CKAN package values. Of course, since there were lots of
other things to do, I just did "the simplest thing that could possibly
work" on the day, and then I moved on.

In other words, it's not an accident, or the final statement, or even
something I strained myself over. It's a deliberate technical debt. The
code is open to suggestions, and so am I.

J.