[ckan-dev] publisher model

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Tue Apr 26 09:02:04 UTC 2011

Hi Seb,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Seb Bacon <seb.bacon at okfn.org> wrote:
> Something I meant to follow up with you was your dream about sorting
> the publisher model.
>
> I'm not entirely clear what you mean by this.  Could you explain?

By now, I'm actually a proponent of "going Github": have a single
domain entity "Publisher" from which both users and institutional
publishers are derived and a n-1 relation between datasets and
publishers (this starts to make sense with resources that are
independent of datasets, so my dataset and your dataset may share a
resource; plus it makes authz a lot simpler).

I think at the moment, CKAN embodies a false notion of shared
ownership which is neither true for institutional environments, nor
for data wranglers (listen to what we actually say: "I have this
dataset that I worked on"). We want CKAN to become a public data
workbench, but at the same time workbenches are things that are very
specific to their owners (everything else is an assembly line).

Hope this makes some sense,

 Friedrich

[OT]
re data wrangling:

https://bitbucket.org/pudo/iati/src
https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ukgov-25k-spending/src

plus "non-wiki scrapers":

https://bitbucket.org/okfn/wdmmg-ext/src/tip/wdmmgext/extract/
https://bitbucket.org/okfn/offenesparlament/src/6c2a2405d014/offenesparlament/load/
https://bitbucket.org/pudo/mitzeichner/src/2d50ee49456e/mitzeichner/scrape.py

(also need to upload my ckan-scripts folder)