[ckan-dev] CKAN question about APIKey

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Aug 5 12:01:39 UTC 2011

On 5 August 2011 06:24, Kimpe Marc <Marc.Kimpe at cronos.be> wrote:
>> I  have a standard install of the CKAN software.

Great to hear -- and perhaps you'd be up for adding some info about
your instance to this page:

<http://wiki.ckan.net/Instances>

(You'll need to register to edit at the moment)

>> It is working fine.
>>

>> However there is a slight problem with reverse proxies.
>>
>> While I can load data with the API  locally -  behind my reverse
>> proxy,
>> it is not working if I pass through the reverse proxy.

Just to check, if you are using modwsgi you need:

        WSGIPassAuthorization On

Otherwise the API Key info is not necessarily passed through correctly
(and a similar fix may be needed for reverse proxy setups).

More info about deployment is here:

<http://wiki.ckan.net/Deployment>

(Please do add info about your own experiences)./

>> Probably the APIKey being generated for the site ( tmpl-ckan)  is not
>> working if I address the site through the reverse proxy ( std-ckan ).
>>
>> Is there a documented way to indicate the actual URL we use to
>> generate the APIKey ?
>> or
>> Alternatively can we disable the APIKey,  since the reverse proxy is
>> checking credentials anyway ?

CKAN just checks the API key -- it isn't tied to a specific url so
this should not be an issue.

Regards,

Rufus