[ckan-dev] Questions regarding CKAN administration

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Aug 5 16:44:21 UTC 2011

2011/8/5 Ondřej Vadinský <ondrej.vadinsky at vse.cz>:
> Hello,
>
> I am new administrator of czech CKAN running on eu19.okfn.org server. As I am a newbie I'd have some questions, please bare with me...

Ondrej,
Welcome!

> I noticed that there is only okfn user and everyone seems to login with that account. That seems quite strange, is this some kind of a policy? Is it
> possible to have separate accounts for people on server? Connected to this, how much can I custumize .bashrc to get some pleasant working
> environment?

We provide a shared user account for convenience of all users of this
machine, so you're right that it's best not to customise the .bashrc.

> I am to upgrade CKAN to newest stable, seems to be 1.4.2 righ now. There is currently installed 1.3.2 version, should I expect some troubles regarding
> this upgrade?

Perhaps @James or @Rufus could help you with this? The CKAN version
also affects the nederland ckan site, so this should be done
carefully, especially as the debian packaging system is new.

> Connected to this I want to do system update, as there are out-of-date packages. Can this cause troubles? As this should upgrade kernel
> too, reboot is required, can I get acces to virtual server management, in case I need to see the server console?
> Is there some special time in which shoul I do the upgrade?

I've done some updates. Perhaps @Nils could take care of any necessary
kernel updates / reboot?

David