[ckan-dev] ckan drupal integration meetup. 8th September.

Kimpe Marc Marc.Kimpe at cronos.be
Wed Aug 31 13:42:50 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I would like to participate,  but I have already another meeting on sep 8 between 18 and 20 hours.

I can try to summarize my input below based on working on a proof of concept for the European Commission
where we started from the UK gov implementation to integrate Drupal with CKAN

There are multiple facets to the problem :

1.   Ideally the integration would be rather loosely coupled.
I would suggest integrating based on the standard CKAN REST api.

In this view the integration used by the UK where Drupal defines screens on a specific api of ckan is too tightly coupled.
It will raise problems with
- upgrading Drupal and CKAN versions - you will always need compatible versions;
- supporting multiple languages at the same time which is possible in Drupal but not (yet) in CKAN;

2.   There it is - supporting multiple languages at the same time...at least a Belgian and European problem, but other countries like Switzerland might join.
Here we could do two things :
CKAN implements multiple languages in its repo and this will be synchronized with Drupal.
CKAN sticks to one language as it does now - this is synchronized with Drupal
and
in Drupal templates,  content descriptions,   taxonomies,  searches (SOLR) etc ... are made language aware.
Drupal could also implement a kind of translation workflow as an add-on module.

3.  Also users and publishers need to be synchronized between Drupal and CKAN,  maybe from a third party identity provider.
This can become a topic on its own.

As you can see a complex issue.

So currently we stick to a pragmatic solution :
1.   Publishers can use the CKAN api to search or enter dataset references.
2.   Users can alternatively enter dataset references in CKAN
3.   Users apply for a CKAN account and API key through a Drupal workflow.
3.   Content is synchronized in background ( drush ) from CKAN to Drupal
4.   Content can be synchronized from CKAN to Drupal on a one of basis.
5.   The larger public uses Drupal to search for datasets etc ..
6.   Drupal can enhance the content.
7.   Drupal is not synchronised back to CKAN.

I hope i used the right medium to communicate my experiences and opinions.

Please take them with you in your meeting and keep me (us) posted.

Many thanks,

Marc Kimpe

-