[ckan-dev] git branching

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Dec 21 12:19:54 UTC 2011

We are all careful to commit code to branches named after the ticket,
which is great. But looking at the git logs, I'm struggling to find
out what branches things were on. Just browsing
https://github.com/okfn/ckan/network in busy periods like 2-7 November
or 1-5 December and it really is a pretty undecipherable.

So, I'd like to propose that every commit includes the ticket number
in the comment, even when on a branch.
e.g.
[1502] Finished tests and added doc

What do people think?

Also, Rufus originally suggested other conventions for the commit messages:
* [l][s][xs] meaning large, small, extra small - referring to the size
of the diff
* [lib,template,tests] meaning changes have occurred principly in the
lib, template and tests directories
Some people have tried these and they remain undocumented. Does anyone
find them useful or shall we drop them, saving our efforts for the
ticket number?

David