[ckan-dev] "Access denied" when POSTing to a dataset I created

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Dec 7 17:05:49 UTC 2011

On 7 December 2011 13:55, Timothy Lebo <lebot at rpi.edu> wrote:
> cpan-dev,
>

> On Dec 6, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
>> On 6 December 2011 18:16, Timothy Lebo <lebot at rpi.edu> wrote:
>>>

>>> I am getting an "Access denied" message when trying to POST a modification to a dataset [1] that I originally created using the web page UI [0].
>>>
>>> I used the following steps, based on [2]:
>>>
>>> 1) curl -O http://thedatahub.org/api/rest/package/white-house-visitor-access-records
>>> 2) modified local file "white-house-visitor-access-records" to include a tag ("tags": ["no-deref-vocab"])
>>> 3) curl http://thedatahub.org/api/rest/package/white-house-visitor-access-records -d @white-house-visitor-access-records -H "Authorization:Aa8...Bb2"
>>> (where "Aa8...Bb2" is my API key from http://thedatahub.org/user/timrdf)
>>
>> Can I suggest replacing package with dataset and seeing what happens.
>>
>> ("package" terminology has been replaced with "dataset" throughout
>> CKAN and the DataHub. package urls redirect to dataset but we have
>> heard that command line tools / clients can have problems with
>> redirects.)
>
> Would it be appropriate to modify
> http://wiki.ckan.org/Using_the_API
> to reflect this change from "package" to "dataset"?

Yes, it looks like the wiki was missed off from the big rename in the
code and docs. I'll do this now.

> Also, a note about using X-CPAN instead of "Authorization" header would be helpful at
> http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/api.html#api-keys

The X-CKAN header was added as a fall-back - the intention is to keep
using the 'Authorization' header, but we're still trying to fix this.
I'll add a note about it in the docs now.

David