[ckan-dev] form POST question

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon Feb 28 18:14:27 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm just investigating an exception that CKAN sees occasional, over
the Form API, as no doubt plenty of you have lots of good experience
with different browsers and form POSTs.

Once or twice per month we get an exception "exceptions.KeyError?"
when processing the fields in the form POST - the POST doesn't include
a particular field i.e. one or more that we believe were on the form
is not in the POST request we receive. It occurs both for creating and
editing packages, and it barfs on a different field each time. We
don't have currently have detailed logs, although that's setup now.

I contacted the latest person to suffer this problem and he:
1. is using IE6
2. when he got the 'server error' response from the form submission,
he pressed 'refresh' and the form went in fine.

This, and its rarity suggests to me that it is an intermittent error.
Do you think can we put this down to a disrupted internet connection
truncating the request? Aside from a better error message than 500, is
there something we can do to ease this?

David