[ckan-dev] key value store, caching and redis

James Gardner james at 3aims.com
Tue Feb 1 13:28:08 UTC 2011

Hi Seb,

> It seems
> that the principle justification for introducing another dependency
> into the system is:
>
> > We do not want to be hitting the database for every resource
>
> Why not?  It's not like CKAN instances are sites that need to
> massively scale.  I am sure we can easily accommodate the levels we
> typically need with postgres.

Just to clarify, we might well do soon. In the current plan to
de-duplicate data between CKAN and DGU, DGU will make a request to CKAN
for each package view, rather than going to MySQL for it. David is
investigating it prior to a meeting we'll be having next Monday to
discuss the new architecture and I think a redis cache may be a very
important piece of the performance puzzle for that use case.

Cheers,

James