[ckan-dev] CKAN Wiki

Seb Bacon seb.bacon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:13:53 UTC 2011

On 1 February 2011 21:14, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 1 February 2011 20:32, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Friedrich,
>
> This, really, really should be on ckan-discuss :), following on from
> the previous thread:
>
> <http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-discuss/2010-December/000768.html>
>
> But now it is here atm I'll continue ...
>
>> Sounds like lots of new and good info is being written for the new
>> wiki, which is great. I just want to be clear about where this fits in
>> with our two existing CKAN wikis, because I'm concerned adding a new
>> one makes it harder for newbies to find stuff.
>>
>> * http://wiki.okfn.org/ckan - for users of the service and system
>
> **Deprecated**

In favour of what?  Can we add a message to the top of the template on
this site saying so?

I am yet to get to grips with all the sources of information I find --
for example, I am still confused about the trac instance on
KnowledgeForge (which appears to be for ticketing sysadmin tasks?)

If we can reduce the number of sources I would be very happy.  If we
can have a single index page which is the place all other things are
linked to, I would also be very happy.

I will gladly take this task on myself, however clearly there is a lot
of history I need to understand in order to do so...:)

>> * http://ckan.org/wiki - for developers
>
> continuing.
>
>> Now is the former just going to for users of services apart from
>> ckan.net and the system in general, whilst users of ckan.net use your
>> new wiki at http://wiki.ckan.net/? If so, will you be moving a bunch
>> of the pages across to ensure we make this clear? Also, isn't it a bit
>> difficult to make it clear which wiki to be using?
>
> No, don't think so
>
>> There is also a wiki page on bitbucket which is enabled - Rufus do you
>> mind if I disable that and the issue tracking?
>> https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckan/wiki
>
> Go for it.
>
>> Does anyone see anything wrong with collapsing all these wikis into
>> one central one at say ckan.org? This could have sub-sections for
>> ckan.net users etc.
>
> Yes I do. Mnay of the community users will not be the least bit
> interested in the code or the trac and conversely developers need not
> (though may be) interested in the community wiki. See e.g.:
>
> <http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-discuss/2010-December/000777.html>

So Olav et al were talking about a "Help" section on ckan.net; note
that "User Guide" on the home page of ckan.net is currently pointing
at the deprecated http://wiki.okfn.org/ckan.  So what's the correct
location for such documentation, now?

Seb