[ckan-dev] full text search and sql

William Waites ww at styx.org
Mon Feb 7 12:37:42 UTC 2011

] Problem #3 -- there's therefore at least one missing test :)

Quite possibly, if we are going to fix the Sql search
back-end there should be a test case that makes sure
the '*:*' search works as expected.

OTOH, doing a  complex FTS query in order to just
return all packages or in some cases not all packages
but tags and count(tags) to build the front-page tag
cloud is a little silly. Is it possible to directly
query the database for the necessary entry points
into the faceted browsing stuff? Maybe we should do
this even if we do have Solr for the fancier
searching. While a test can certainly be written
that does get(home) | grep '[1-9] packages' the more
important question is how we want this to work and
whether we *require* and specifically optimise for
Solr rather than having it as an option.

Part of the problem is we now have several deployment
scenarios, with and without Solr, with and without
queueing, with sqlite and postgres. And so it isn't
enough to run the tests once in a single configuration.
The recent work of DR promises to help with this.
Should we merge the nose plugin from bug_955_tidy_up_tests
into head so this can be done easily?

In the meantime I'm re-running the tests with
postgres - I had blithely supposed that skipping
the search tests with sqlite wasn't a problem since
I wasn't working on anything search related to see
if I can track down the badly ordered INSERTs...

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>