[ckan-dev] How to display more information on a resource?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Jan 18 10:33:00 UTC 2011

David,

You're could say that you're designing the 'default' or 'most
flexible' package display template and edit form. This is what's
currently used for ckan.net, for people to play with what fields they
need.

As people start to have a strong idea what fields they want - such as
the http://ckan.net/group/lodcloud people - then we should think about
customising their display template and edit form for their packages.
So don't worry about displaying or editing for this case - we can do
custom work for complicated cases.

So, back to the default case. You've seen that it's difficult to give
people both the flexibility and handle the UI wonderfully for few and
many fields. I suggest you focus on handling up to say a dozen
columns. And if people really want more then we'll sort out the UI
when/if it happens.

*Displaying* a package: how about making all the table columns thin
enough to display them all, truncating cells rather than
wrapping/scrolling them, and provide the full value on mouseover? Even
if you only see the first few characters, then you have a good idea of
the value. The description field has become a bit of a dumping ground
for other data, so you could perhaps make all columns the equal width.

*Editing* a package: a table with a scrollbar with a button to add
more fields seems fine to me. Editors will use the scroll bar in their
hunt for the values they want to change, having seen what values are
there when the package is displayed / previewed.

Team members like James are v. quick on the JQuery, so do ask if you
want someone to help. The hard part of this is probably the model
code.

David