[ckan-dev] How to display more information on a resource?

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Tue Jan 18 12:26:18 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM, David Raznick <kindly at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been looking at ticket 862 .  Technically it should not be too
> difficult if we go down the same route as "package extras" and "group
> extras" which have extra key value pairs.
>
> However,  I have no good idea how we can display this extra information.

This aspect was semi-consciously left out of the ticket. I think that
we're essentially showing the right amount of information on package
resource tables at the moment and that additional cues should be
non-textual, e.g:

* A preview link should be a small spyglass in the last column
* The http return code as stored by the archiver could be used to
color the download link (e.g. gray out 4xx/5xx resources).
* Alternative downloads would only be presented for resources which
have become unavailable, marked "(from CKAN Cache)".
* A human-readable version of format could be shown instead of the
actual name if given (essentially: display "Tar-Gzipped Excel
Spreadsheet" for
"application/gz|application/tar|application/vnd.ms-excel")

Other resource extras (such as "when has this last been visited by the
archiver" are somewhat irrelevant to the CKAN user and I think we
should limit ourselves in bombarding people with that information.

- Friedrich