[ckan-dev] Update on the ckanext-datapreview plug-in

Aron Carroll aron.carroll.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:49:01 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick update on the ckanext-datapreview plug-in. I've
spent about a day now working on the charting side of the plugin and using
the Flot jQuery plugin I have a very basic implementation up and running.
Where the user can select two columns to plot onto a graph. I've also
uploaded a screen shot of the current UI, http://cl.ly/8YlZ.

I'm now spending a little time refactoring the codebase (which has grown
from a simple script to a small application) to make it more manageable and
easier to extend in the future. Once thats done the plan is to add
the following features.

 * Serialisation and storage of the chart data to allow them to persist
between page loads.
 * Plotting additional series on the chart.

I'll hopefully be able to have a working build by tomorrow evening but if
anyone has any feedback on the direction it's heading it would be great to
hear from you.

Cheers,
Aron