[ckan-dev] Publishers vs. Publisher-centric package management

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Jul 5 10:38:29 UTC 2011

On 4 July 2011 19:26, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (replying to myself here, but this is after some good discussions during OKCon)
>
> I'm not quite sure how this was settled during OKCon, so I want to
> pick it up again, because its fairly essential:

I'm currently implementing http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1198 which I
think is a pretty uncontroversial start to this work.

> 1) Are we going to have a one-many association between packages and
> publishers (one publisher per package)?

We need more than one publisher per package for DGU. I think this
needs to be flexible, through a pluggable authz system that David and
James are discussing. I'd like to see a proposal / CREP for this.

> 2) Are publishers going to be groups?

Yes, that's now the plan - I can't see why not reuse Groups. David has
added a Member class which makes Users join many-many with Group - see
the branch feature-1198-publisher-hierarcy if you are interested.

> 3) Are there going to be other types of groups as well? If so, how do
> we avoid ambiguity in user-land?

I'm not understanding you - do explain what confusion could arise.

> 4) What speaks against the Agent (User, Group) model where they are
> active authorization objects next to normal users rather than just
> groupings?

As I said before, this seems a reasonable improvement, but since we're
moving the authz into plugins then this needs to be considered.

> From my PoV the Agent model would be very simple to implement, very
> clear also in the conceptual model and it would allow for the new URL
> scheme which I'm really a big fan of.

+1 to the URL scheme

David