[ckan-dev] "Data Package" specification page

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:24:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Matthew (and all others interested!),
>
> Further to our earlier conversations I've done some work to extract
> and consolidate the "implicit" spec and process about 'data packages'
> in the datapkg tool documentation into a separate standalone
> specification:
>
> <http://wiki.ckan.net/Data_Package>
>
> Please dive in and/or respond to refine and improve this :-)
>
> @Richard: wondering how we can integrate this with dcat (also
> wondering if a dcat in json would be possible :-) )
>
> It seems obvious to me (now) that this spec should be separate from
> implementation so that it can be implemented in many different places.
> At the same time I think we need to focus on a couple of specific use
> cases to keep things "real".

Sorry, to keep posting at partial cross-purposes, but here are my
latest (month-old!) thoughts when considering data packages.  I see
good things in your Data_Package document too - including versioning.
I think Data_Package still lacks the ability to support development
versions (what I'm trying to cover with revision ids).   I wasn't sure
how to handle our desire for system and user indices (I call these
prundle discovery sources) for data.

https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/blob/master/doc/source/devel/data_pkg_discuss.rst
https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/blob/master/doc/source/devel/data_pkg_uses.rst

See you,