[ckan-dev] Work on the ckanext-datapreview plugin

Aron Carroll aron.carroll.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:43:16 UTC 2011

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Tim, David I agree that ScraperWiki style views would be a fantastic way of
letting users visualise the data but as David mentions I was thinking of
something a little simpler initially.

I've spent today tidying up the current data preview UI, styling the preview
buttons and updating the jQuery UI theme to be cleaner and less obtrusive.
I'm not 100% sure the lightbox is the best way to display the data but I'll
leave it in until I think of something better. I've also added a data grid
plugin to allow users to sort by columns and generally make viewing the data
a nicer experience.

There's still some issues with the preview buttons appearing next to
resources that can't be proxied but I think this will be resolved once we
move over to using the webstore to cache the data.

Next up I'm going to look into implementing some basic graphing, I was
originally going to use Raphael but I'll look at Flot too (thanks Rufus for
the suggestion and the example data).

Cheers,
Aron