[ckan-dev] Started work on the 'webstore' (a datastore with web API)

David Raznick kindly at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 13:00:04 UTC 2011

> (i.e. users could do SELECT * FROM cra.cra2010 cra JOIN
> "openspending.cofog".cofog cofog1 ON cra.cofog1_id = cofog1.id)
>

> Are you suggesting here that people would be able to SELECT across
> different webstore databases?

yes.

> If so, I'm strongly in opposition to this idea. I recognise the elegance in
> principle, but in practice I think evidence is the supposed reuse of data
> doesn't work ...

I think when practice matures then this could work.

> And I think OpenSpending can testify to that. We should prevent users from
> building queries that rely on *other people's schemas*.

This is clearly a social thing not a reason to limit things technically.  A
warning is good enough.  I like to trust people, and not having the data
open to other people to use in the way they see fit. At some point we should
develop conventions to stop people damaging themselves by using changing
data.  I like the python approach to openness 'we are all adults here'.

David