[ckan-dev] help with package forms

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Jun 15 10:26:11 UTC 2011

On 14 June 2011 23:15, Sean Hudson <sean.hudson at opencolorado.org> wrote:
> At one time I had created a custom form for packages. It is not working now,
> and looks like it broke after upgrade. http://colorado.ckan.net/package/new

It looks like the form was not transferred in the upgrade and move
onto a better server. Sorry about that! I've found your form on the
old server, so will have a go at installing it today.

You're now on CKAN version 1.3.3b, but note that in the forthcoming
1.4.1 release we have altered the form system so that they are mainly
customised in HTML, rather than relying heavily on python code to
build them. So for existing forms like your one, a migration will be
needed.

> The only access I have appears to be
> /home/okfn/var/srvc/opencolorado.org/etc and I can't seem to find that
> custom form.

We've where we store the CKAN code. Instead of being in a virtual
environment in the CKAN instance folder, it is installed into python.
So all you are left with is your config file, theme (and we should
have your form here too). You'll find the ckan code at:
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/ckan/

> I tried to comment out the special form in the us_co.ini file
> but that didn't change anything.

This is because you need to restart Apache so it can reread the config
file (see ckan's readme for more info). I've done that now and the
standard form now appears fine.

> Also, where do I install plugins? I wanted API and comments, but I can't
> quite figure it out.

Installation used to be into the virtualenv or debian packags.

Plugins are enabled in the config. Info on what's around is here:
http://wiki.ckan.net/Extensions

The API is core CKAN (not a plugin), and works for me e.g.
http://colorado.ckan.net/api/rest/package .

The disqus comments extension has a readme which explains you need two
additions to the config file - to add the disqus config and  enable
the plugin.
https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanext-disqus/src/d4074ed23593/README.md
And of course you'll need to restart apache again. Do let us know how
you get on with this.

David