[ckan-dev] Views on data through the web

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jun 16 10:16:42 UTC 2011

On 16 June 2011 00:25, Francis Irving <francis at scraperwiki.com> wrote:
> Yep, I hope we can share the SQL data server.
>
> I think the core of it is the same for each of us - and one day we'll
> both want multiple server scaling of some sort, and no doubt lots of
> other things.
>
> It would make sense for it to be a separate open source project.

Agreed. I took a look at the code recently (I think it was
scraperlibs/scraperwiki/sqlite.py and datastore.py in same directory).
Not sure I had a good understanding of what was going on though. How
would we go about collaborating on turning this into a standalone lib
(if we all wanted to do this)?

> Quite surprising that we've both settled on SQLite for this...
> (Everybody else busy talking about CouchDB and MongoDB...)

It's lightweight and portable and you can get it everywhere - plus we
want lots of little dbs not one mega-db. (Plus I've used couchdb and
mongodb and I'm still rather dubious of benefits over tried and tested
sql ...)