[ckan-dev] ckanext-dgu loaders depend on ckan

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Mon Mar 7 12:25:24 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I'm trying to build a loader script for a few Italian datasets. Start at
http://packages.python.org/ckan/loader_scripts.html

I cloned ckanext-dgu, installed the pip-requirements just to find out
that I need to do a full install of ckan.

More specifically,
ckanext/importer/importer.py wants to import

        from ckan.model.license import LicenseRegister

This might have passed unnoticed because tests assume ckan is installed
ckanext/dgu/tests/ons/test_ons_loader.py

        from ckan import model

The README
https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanext-dgu/src/ea6870866c49/README.txt is
thus wrong:

> It is simpler to set-up to run the loaders, because they don't require
> CKAN to be installed::

I think a simpler setup for loaders would help a lot in getting more
people involved in the creation of new package. I'm wondering if it
wouldn't be easier to automate around datapkg for the simple case of
creating new packages?

Ciao,
steko

--