[ckan-dev] ckanext-dgu loaders depend on ckan

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon Mar 7 16:39:46 UTC 2011

On 7 March 2011 15:22, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 7 March 2011 12:25, Stefano Costa <stefano.costa at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm trying to build a loader script for a few Italian datasets. Start at
>> http://packages.python.org/ckan/loader_scripts.html
>>
>> I cloned ckanext-dgu, installed the pip-requirements just to find out
>> that I need to do a full install of ckan.
>
> You really *don't* want to do that :) (i.e. use ckanext-dgu).

Woah there Rufus! Why not? The API loaders there are powerful, easily
extensible, have full docs, test coverage, are auto-tested daily and
are actively maintained. Docs here:
http://packages.python.org/ckan/loader_scripts.html

And of course if you don't need any of the features provided, a third
option is to use the API directly.

> As David Read says, the much better place to start is the loaders
> based on ckanclient which can be found here:

No, I said there is a loader for google docs here, to consider. See
SimpleGoogleSpreadsheetLoader. I believe it suffers from lack of
tests, docs and looks quite old now, but if you have a google doc then
do try it.

All the best,

David