[ckan-dev] wiki page moved - wrongly?

James Gardner james at 3aims.com
Fri Mar 18 11:39:45 UTC 2011

Hi Stefano,

This was as a result of some discussion at the CKAN sprint on Wednesday,
apologies for not running it by the list first. Here's the reasoning
though...

We really want the wiki at wiki.ckan.net to support the whole user
community of CKAN. Of course much of that community is data-oriented but
some of the community also like to build tools off the REST APIs or do
some developer-related things. We therefore want to add tutorial-style
community documentation to the community wiki for some of the simpler
developer and API type tasks. At the same time we would like to
encourage more of the community to feel they can contribute to CKAN's
development and as the codebase gets simpler the tutorials improve I
hope that can happen.

Of course we've already got the documentation at
http://packages.python.org/ckan/ for more detailed developer
documentation and we intend to make that more technical and expand it
whilst leaving the more introductory/tutorial style documentation on the
community pages. Having a third source for documentation in the form of
the Trac wiki then seemed to be a bit silly because it would effectively
be duplicating information in one of the other two sources.

I can see how just seeing that the branching policy had moved could lead
you to conclude that we were taking over the community wiki for
developer tasks but I want to reassure you that that isn't the intention
at all, rather that we want to make the way CKAN works clearer and more
accessible to the wider community.

Cheers,

James