[ckan-dev] ckanext-rdf: Consolitdated RDF handling for CKAN

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Tue May 31 08:30:54 UTC 2011

Hi all,

in an attempt to get a more coherent grasp of RDF functionality around
CKAN (did anyone really understand the recent thread?), I've created
yet another extension package, ckanext-rdf. At the moment, it contains
two modules: "consume" and "produce". The consume part contains a
version of the SPARQL-based DCAT-to-CKAN-dict converter I wrote a
while back in dcat-tools (now deprecated), while the produce part is
an attempt at creating a simplified (and maybe not linked data
politically correct) version of Will's ckanrdf exporter. As such, I've
dropped the following functions:

* OPMV provenance (*ducks first bottle*)
* Formats normalization (not a converters job)
* Differentiation between catalogue records and datasets (*ducks
spanish cucumber*)
* Any references to the various representations of the data on semantic.ckan.net

Added features:

* BNodes for arbitrary package extras (*ducks 200wpm linked data battlesword*)

While this makes little sense on its own, I hope that we can add
support for RDF as an almost natural representation soon and then
won't have to distinguish between semantic CKAN and mundane CKAN.

- Friedrich