[ckan-dev] Who is in charge of the Colorado instance?

William Waites ww at styx.org
Mon May 9 09:18:52 UTC 2011

* [2011-05-09 10:12:21 +0100] Seb Bacon <seb.bacon at okfn.org> écrit:

] > Do we really need to embed API calls and write CREPs here?
]
] Too late ;)  CC'ing this to ckan-dev.
]
] But yes, I think so.  Since I've started at OKF this conversation has
] come up several times, either in "who is the maintainer of site X"
] (sysadmin-type questions) or "how many instances do we have of CKAN"
] (marketing-type questions).

I agree that this is important, I just think your propsed solution is
much more complicated than it needs to be.

I also don't like systems that call home and would be very upset if a
piece of software tried to contact some entity on the Internet without
my explicit configuration or approval. It's creepy and orwellian and
a very bad thing for free software to do.

] On the point of writing CEPs -- well, maybe it doesn't need a full
] one, but it needs discussion IMO: it's something *I* think should be
] built into CKAN, and the current (pre-CEP) way of proceeding would be
] for me to mention it to James or Rufus and if they don't have a
] problem, just going ahead and doing it.

I agree the "private conversation" route is bad and keeps people in
the dark. But I think that the whole formal CEP thing is overkill,
simply writing to the list as you have done is sufficient to keep
people in the loop and get their feedback.

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>