[ckan-dev] Who is in charge of the Colorado instance?

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue May 10 11:44:56 UTC 2011

* [2011-05-10 13:23:05 +0200] Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> écrit:

] But thats what the Wiki is? Its just not compulsory for people to
] register with and I think thats a feature.

I agree.

] That means we have someone
] who socially "owns" the instance but for technical maintenance, it
] comes down to Rufus or me for most of the cases.

very scalable that is...

] 3. We want to contact a responsible person. The problem is on either
] eu3, eu6 or eu8 or on EveryDNS. Responsible person has access to none
] of those (not sure if he knows shell).

This is why, when you register a domain name, for example, you put an
administrative contact and a technical contact. These are not new or
revolutionary ideas.

] I think large (project management) screw-ups are better places than
] small technical problems. The fact that eu3 has been down for 2 months
] would have been nice example. But this one was just a complete
] Rohrschach party where no-one actually looked at the problem.

You're right. Many of us have gotten so accustomed to the flood of
error messages from the CKANs that they go straight to /dev/null. Even
when we are aware of a problem, e.g. eu3, it takes ages for anything
to be done about it - mostly because everybody's so busy with other
things. This is partly a project management failure and partly a
result of volunteerism - it's nobody's job to make sure the community
instances are running properly so maintenance only happens
inconsistently. And we've an increasing amount of people showing up
and asking for new instances for some special purpose or other. This
needs sorted out.

On the "identify yourself" API call, I agree that that wouldn't have
fixed this problem. But it is something that has come up more than
once and would be damn useful regardless of the larger issues and
would be very simple to implement.

-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>