[ckan-dev] New CREP: Moderated Edits User Interface

Seb Bacon seb.bacon at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:22:13 UTC 2011

Looks good to me.

Two questions:

1) I'm thinking about the fact that internally we have separate
revisions for resources, extras and package metadata.  From a user's
point of view this could be confusing to expose so I would want to be
sure that conceptually, everything that they see on a package form
when they hit save is a single "revision".  Is that right?

2) I think a "revision" (in the above sense) should have its own
revision log field that appears when you select a revision in the
right hand side.  It would be nice to particularly highlight the notes
function (which is effectively like a Wikipedia "talk" page) if there
are some notes there.

3) For CKAN.net, we would certainly show all the moderated and
unmoderated edits to the general public.  I imagine a client like DGU
would want the unmoderated edits to be only visible to logged in
users.

4) While I think the moderated version (btw I like "approved") should
be the default view for a package, we should have a great big banner
at the top of the page when there are outstanding suggested changes,
saying something like "this data might be out of date -- there are
unapproved changes suggested by the community that we've not yet
moderated -- click here to see" or something like that.

5) Longer term, if/when we have an active contributor community, we
will need Wikipedia-like functions such as: recent changes, user
contributions, user talk pages (for sending a message to a user).
Similarly, we should integrate the follower extension so that when a
user edits a package it adds it to their follow list -- to encourage
regular reviewing.

Seb