[ckan-dev] Default CKAN distribution

James Gardner james at 3aims.com
Wed May 18 15:22:42 UTC 2011

Hi Will,

We have a "ckan" debian package we can use for this. As a bit of
background I've just refactored the packaging a bit so that there is a
new ckan-common package which contains a single file which it installs
to /usr/lib/ckan/common.sh which contains helper functions that other
CKAN related packages can call. As an example the ckan-dgu package has a
postinst script which makes use of a lot of them.

https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckan-debs-public

Going forward I'd like to see the ckan package in the repo above install
a typical CKAN installation so we can re-work its postinst to the same
form as the new ckan-dgu package but to use the dependencies below
rather than the ones ckan-dgu uses.

At that point a typical ckan installation is as easy as apt-get install
so there would be little benefit in a canned image, although we could
easily do that too. I'm happy to take on the creation of the ckan
package myself when I'm back if it can wait until then? CKAN 1.4 will
also be out by then so it makes sense to make a formal packaged release
anyway.

Cheers,

James