[ckan-dev] solr

Seb Bacon seb.bacon at okfn.org
Tue May 24 15:18:21 UTC 2011

On 24 May 2011 16:13, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 24 May 2011 13:52, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > I don't see it as a feature but as refactoring to reduce technical debt.
>>
>> I'll try and summarize what I see as the pluses & minuses of dropping postgres:
>
> I think dropping postgres is a really major step. I'd personally argue
> in the other direction: doing a bit of work to finish off the
> abstraction of the search interface that we started. At the moment the
> only thing we are really using that isn't in postgres is facets and
> that shouldn't be that hard to do. Requiring SOLR by default is a big
> ask -- it's a significant extra bit of kit to maintain.

But then, if it's not hard to do facets in postgres, why are we using
solr?  I understood this was the main motivation?

The way I see it, we should focus our development efforts on one
search backend.  I don't think we have time to maintain two.  If we
need nice stopwords and the like, and it's hard to do them in
postgres, then we should go with Solr.

Does abstracting the search backend away imply a search API that
supports facets (with a postgres implementation)?  How about stop
words?

Sorry for asking annoying questions without solutions :)  I shall try
to be more constructive soon...

Seb