[ckan-dev] New CREP: Moderated Edits User Interface

Seb Bacon seb.bacon at okfn.org
Wed May 25 08:17:15 UTC 2011

This is great!

Some ideas / suggestions...

1. I can imagine a moderator would want to quickly flick between
versions, simulating edits over time, then stepping back again.  For
this, it might be handy to have a view of the history that is
horizontal, which suggests the passage of time better, and with prev /
next change links, so I can just keep pressing "next" and incrementing
the version.  Something like:

<- prev  24/05/11 *25/05/11* 27/05/11 next ->

This might be in addition to the RHS vertical nav, or possibly instead.

2. It would be nice to include some more visual clues to help
highlight the changes.
a) Perhaps fields that have changes would be highlighted, and fields
without changes not highlighted (making the "matches 24/05/11 Name" in
such fields redundant)?  The highlight colour would match a similar
highlight colour behind today's currently selected date in the
revision navigator(s).
b) Something visual for the "use this value button": perhaps the
button includes an arrow pointing upwards towards the field, and the
text says "copy this value"?

3.  You're perhaps going to need a visual state to indicate a field
that's been changed since the last moderated edit.  E.g. if the Title
was "Old Expenses Title"; I change it to "New Expenses Title"; then I
visit another revision with the title "Another Expenses Title"; should
there me some indication that not only the currently viewed revision
has a different value, but I've already changed it since the last
moderated version?
Perhaps a small icon to the right of each dirty field that requires a
logical save?  Not sure what this could be.  Perhaps not necessary,
but I feel like I'm on to something :)

4. On the same theme, by default the last of the revisions shown in
the RHS navigation should probably be the last moderated revision,
with a link to "show older revisions" which expands the list to all
revisions.  This would make it clear that the point of the page is to
review changes since the last moderated revision.

5. Although this is technically just another flavour of an
edit-and-save operation, I think it should have some clear visual
indication at the top that this operation is going to end with a
*moderated* / "official" version.  The top title should say "moderate
data package", there should probably be a short banner with some
inline help (e.g. "Use the revisions panel to navigate between
suggested changes", etc), and the save button at the bottom should say
something like "save moderated version".

Thanks,

Seb