[ckan-dev] problem with import of latin character

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu May 26 12:01:41 UTC 2011

2011/5/26  <p.romain at cg33.fr>:

> Hi,
>
> We wrote a script for the bulk import of our catalogues of data packages but

Your script looks basically fine.

> we can't import data with latin characters. Is there something to set in the
> python script that we are missing (encoding or something..)

The importer should support latin chacters fine. We have a test for
this. You could try importing our test spreadsheet using your script
and see if that works ok.

http://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanext-importlib/src/default/ckanext/importlib/tests/
See samples directory and compare test_importer_full.xls and
test_importer_full.csv which are the same data in the two different
formats.

Excel files are unicode, and that's what we use internally too:
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/xlrd/trunk/xlrd/doc/xlrd.html

It might help us to see the exception too.

David