[ckan-dev] ckanext-rdf: Consolitdated RDF handling for CKAN

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Tue May 31 15:44:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:17 PM, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> ] * Differentiation between catalogue records and datasets (*ducks
> ] spanish cucumber*)
>
> Well this is an important one. You won't be able to speak the
> DCat protocol that we agreed in Edinburgh if you do this.

Ok, how cheap do I get this? Will a BNode and a short prayer to
Berners-Lee get me in or do we need to actually have a different URI
for catalogue entries?

> I guess the biggest problem with this is when you use CKAN as an
> aggregator of different kinds of sources, CSW, Socrata, whatever,
> and then re-export that as RDF you get generation loss just like
> when you copy a cassette tape and then copy the copy, only worse.

Hah, my intention is to make things even worse: I'll try and create a
few normalizer scripts to run over the data so that finally everything
will be CKAN packages that slightly remind the interested viewer of
the fact they once were in an inferior catalogue ;) That includes
formats, liceses, categories etc. Let's see how it works out,
definetly the R&D aspect in all of this.

> CKAN's data model has to seriously improve for this to not be the
> case, but I don't want to reopen the debate about the model. So
> long as round tripping is possible one day...

Goal is the 14th.

- Friedrich